Best of Back to Basics: Solve Problems With Open Communication
A force field analysis helps employees meet organizational goals
- Quality Progress
- January 2016
- Volume 49 Issue 1
- pp. 33
- Duffy, Grace L., Bauer, John, Moran, John W.
- Trident Technical College in Charleston, SC, QA/QC Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA, New England Baptist Hospital in Boston, MA,
[abstract from the article]
A force field analysis is a tool that can help employees resolve issues to meet the goals of their organizations. It helps identify forces currently supporting or working against the solution of an issue, so positives can be reinforced and negatives eliminated or reduced.
A force field analysis:
- Presents the positives and negatives of a situation so they are easily comparable.
- Considers all aspects of making the desired change.
- Encourages agreement about the relative priority of factors on each side of the balance sheet.
- Encourages honest reflection on the underlying roots of a problem and its solution.