George E.P. Box
Career Milestones and Published Books
Compiled by Gregory H. Watson,
ChairmanBusiness Excellence Solutions, Ltd.
1946 British Empire Medal
1946 Royal Statistical Society — Fellow
1947 BSc in Mathematical Statistics (First Class Honors), London University
1952 PhD in Mathematical Statistics, London University
1955 American Statistical Association — Fellow
1961 DSc, London University
1964 Royal Statistical Society — William A. Guy Medal in Silver
1965 International Statistical Institute — Member
1968 American Society for Quality — Walter A. Shewhart Medal
1970 Fellow of the Royal Society
1972 American Statistical Association — Samuel L. Wilks Memorial Award
1973 American Society for Quality — W. J. Youden Memorial Address: “Science, Statistics, and Quality”
1974 Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences
1974 Council of Presidents of Statistical Societies — Ronald A. Fisher Lectureship
1978 President, American Statistical Association
1980 President, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
1980 University of Wisconsin — Vilas Research Professor
1981 Institute of Mathematical Statistics — Fellow
1984 University of Wisconsin — Founder, Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement
1985 University of Rochester — Doctor of Science Honoris Causa
1987 American Society for Quality — Martin A. Brumbaugh Award (1st award):George E. P. Box and
Søren Bisgaard (1987), “The Scientific Context of Quality Improvement,” Quality Progress, June
1987, pp. 54-61
1988 American Society for Quality — W. Edwards Deming Medal (Metropolitan Section)
1988 American Society for Quality — W. J. Youden Award:George E. P. Box (1988), “Signal-to-Noise
Ratios, Performance Criteria, and Transformations,” Technometrics, Volume 30, Number 1, pp. 1-17.
1989 Carnegie Mellon University — Doctor of Science Honoris causa
1990 University of Wisconsin — R. Byron Bird Award for Excellence in Engineering Research
1990 Guggenheim Fellow
1992 University of Wisconsin — Professor Emeritus
1993 Royal Statistical Society — William A. Guy Medal in Gold
1993 Royal Statistical Society — Honorary Fellow
1993 American Society for Quality — Martin A. Brumbaugh Award (2nd award):George E. P. Box and
R. Daniel Meyer (1993), “Finding the Active Factors in Fractionated Screening Experiments,”
Journal of Quality Technology, Volume 25, Number 2, pp. 94-105
1995 Universidad Carlos III of Madrid — Doctor Honoris Causa
1996 American Society for Quality — Honorary Member
1997 American Society for Quality — Martin A. Brumbaugh Award (3rd award):George E. P. Box and
Alberto Luceño (1997), “Discrete Proportional-Integral Adjustment and Statistical Process Control,”
Journal of Quality Technology, Volume 29, Number 3, pp. 248-260
2000 Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers — Evolutionary Computation Award
2000 American Statistical Association — W. Edwards Deming Lecture
2000 University of Waterloo — Doctor of Mathematics Honoris Causa
2003 European Network for Business and Industrial Statisticians — George E. P. Box Medal
2007 International Statistical Institute — Honorary Member
2007 American Society for Quality — Martin A. Brumbaugh Award (4th award):George E. P. Box
and Carmen Paniagua-Quiñones (2007), “Two Charts: Not One,” Quality Engineering,
Volume 19, Number 2, pp. 93-100.
2010 American Society for Quality — Martin A. Brumbaugh Award (5th award):George E. P. Box and
Surendar Narasimhan (2010), “Rethinking Statistics for Quality Control,” Quality Engineering,
Volume 22, Number 2, pp. 60-72
2010 International Academy for Quality — Honorary Member
Books by George E. P. Box:
- Statistical Methods in Research and Production, Oliver and Boyd, 1963 (with W.R. Cousins, O.L. Davies, F.R. Himsworth, H. Kenney, W. Spendley, W.L. Stevens).
- Design and Analysis of Industrial Experiments, Oliver and Boyd, 1963 (with L.R. Connor, W.R. Cousins, O.L. Davies, F.R. Himsworth, and G.P. Sillitto).
- Evolutionary Operation-A statistical method for process improvement, John Wiley & Sons, 1969 (with N.R. Draper). Translated in German and Romanian
- Time Series Analysis Forecasting and Control, Holden-Day, 1970 - 2008 (with G.M. Jenkins), 4th edition (2008 with G. Reinsel). Translated in Russian, Chinese, Arabic
- Bayesian Inference in Statistical Analysis, Addison Wesley Publishing Co., 1973 (with G.C. Tiao).
- Statistics for Experimenters, John Wiley & Sons, 1977 (with W.G. Hunter and J.S. Hunter) (Second Edition 2005). Translated in Spanish
- The Collected Works of George E.P. Box, Wadsworth, 1985. Two volumes, edited by G.C. Tiao.
- Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces, John Wiley & Sons, 1987 (with N.R. Draper) (Second Edition 2008).
- Box on quality and discovery: With design, control, and robustness, John Wiley & Sons, 2000 (with G C Tiao, S Bisgaard, W J Hill, D Pena and S M Stigler)
- Statistical Control by Monitoring and Feedback Adjustment, John Wiley & Sons, 1997 (with A. Luceño) (Second Edition 2009).
- Improving Almost Anything: Ideas and Essays, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.
- An Accidental Statistician: The Life and Memories of George E. P. Box, John Wiley & Sons, 2013.