What Is the ISO 14000 Standards Series?
ISO 14000 is defined as a series of international environmental management standards, guides, and technical reports. The standards specify requirements for establishing an environmental management policy, determining environmental impacts of products or services, planning environmental objectives, implementing programs to meet objectives, and conducting corrective action and management review.
Promoting Environmental Management Systems with ISO 14000
The primary objective of the ISO 14000 series of standards is to promote effective environmental management systems in organizations. The standards seek to provide cost-effective tools that make use of best practices for organizing and applying information about environmental management.
The ISO 14000 family was developed in response to a recognized industry need for standardization. With different organizational approaches to environmental management, comparisons of systems and collaboration had proved difficult.
ISO 14000 facts
- ISO 14000 standards and practices can be applied to any organization, regardless of size or industry.
- ISO 14001:2015 is the most popular standard of the ISO 14000 family, which also includes the following standards:
- ISO 14004:2016 - Environmental Management Systems - General Guidelines On Implementation
- ISO 14006:2011 - Environmental Management Systems - Guidelines For Incorporating Ecodesign
- ISO 14015:2001 - Environmental Management - Environmental Assessment Of Sites And Organizations (EASO)
- ISO 14020:2000 - Environmental Labels And Declarations - General Principles
- ISO 14031:2013 - Environmental Management - Environmental Performance Evaluation - Guidelines
- ISO 14040:2006 - Environmental Management - Life Cycle Assessment - Principles And Framework
- ISO 14050:2009 - Environmental Management - Vocabulary
- ISO 14063:2006 - Environmental Management - Environmental Communication - Guidelines And Examples
- ISO 14064:2006 - Greenhouse Gases Standards
- ISO 19011:2018 - Guidelines For Auditing Management Systems
- Find more standards in the ISO 14000 family
ISO 14000 history
History of ISO 14000
- The first environmental management system standard, BS 7750, was published in 1992 by the BSI group.
- In 1996, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) created the ISO 14000 family of standards.
- ISO 14001 underwent revision in 2004.
- The current revision of ISO 14001 was published in September 2015.
Get started with ISO 14000
To get started with ISO 14001:2015: