Don’t put a bandage on a problem; fix the issue permanently. Root cause is the fundamental, underlying reason for a problem. This course allows you to identify the cause of a problem, solve it, and prevent it from occurring again. This saves your organization time, money, and resources.
This course will enable participants to understand root cause analysis as a procedure for ascertaining and analyzing the causes of problems in an effort to determine what can be done to solve or prevent them. Consisting of lectures, practice, and role-playing, this course is designed to provide attendees with an in-depth understanding of how to analyze a system to identify the root causes of problems.
ASQ courses provide online access to the digital course content for 365 days, beginning five days before the first day of your course. Extensions and/or refunds cannot be issued if the digital course content has been accessed. Latest versions of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge are recommended―Internet Explorer is not supported.
- CEU Hours: 0
- Length: 16 Hours
- ASQ RU: 1.6
- Audience: Professional, Practitioner
- Provider: ASQ
- Enhance problem solving effectiveness by providing a model for more deeply analyzing problem situations.
- Clarify the difference between analytical and creative thinking, and when each is most useful.
- Promote the ability to provide problem-solving support in situations where one is not an expert in the process or technology involved.
- Expand the range of tools available for analysis of problem situations.
Who Should Attend:Quality, safety, risk, and reliability managers, process engineers, technicians, operations supervisors and personnel, process owners, occurrence investigators, analysts, maintenance directors, reliability professionals, and anyone who wants to improve their ability to solve recurring problems should attend this training. Manufacturing markets include core manufacturing markets in machinery and computer equipment, chemical and allied products, fabricated metals, electronics, transportation, and measurement/controlling industries. Service markets that could effectively leverage this course would include consulting/business services, financial services, wholesale/retail, transportation, utilities, and government.
Session 1:MODELS AND COMPONENTS OF RCA
- Correction versus corrective action
- Separating problem diagnosis versus solution identification and implementation
- Use of risk assessment within corrective action process
- How to ensure that the right problem is being worked on
- Tools and filters for priority setting
- Developing a clear and sufficient problem statement (includes practice)
- How every problem is a process failure
- How a SIPOC diagram can set boundaries and define interrelationships
- Using flowcharts to drill down into the right part of the process (includes practice)
Session 2:STEP 3 – IDENTIFYING POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Five ways to identify possible causes
- Three options for selecting or eliminating causes
- Logic trees as a cause and effect diagram on steroids (includes practice):
- Causal search techniques
- The power of variable versus attribute data
- Check sheets, graphs, diagrams and tables for data collection
- Interviews observation for less precise data
- Tools for numeric data analysis (run charts, histograms, pareto diagram, dot plot)
- Tools for analyzing multiple factors simultaneously (pivot tables, multi-vari charts, Is/Is-Not table)
- Logical methods of data analysis (thought experiments, change/difference analysis
Develop a diagnostic plan for a small but critical problem
Session 3:CASE STUDY REVIEW
- Review plans and key learning points
- Causes of and solutions for human error
- How incident/accident analysis differs
STEPS 6 & 7 - Identifying and selecting solutions
- Six methods for identifying solutions
- Simple and complex solution selection methods
- Some models for understanding resistance and planning change
- Multiple aspects of follow-up
- Spreading and sustaining results
Session 4CAPSTONE CASE STUDY
MANAGEMENT/ORGANIZATIONAL ISSUES AFFECTING RCA PROJECTS
- Cognitive biases that affect RCA
- Impact of organizational culture
- Structures/roles that can support RCA
FormatThis virtual course combines lectures, structured Q&A, and hands-on practice in an interactive learning design and support from an instructor in using specific tools to determine root cause and identify solutions.
After course registration, you will receive an email with access instructions. If you do not, please check your email junk, spam, or clutter folders. If the email is not there, please contact ASQ. For virtual WebEx courses, you will receive another email 24 hours prior to the start of class containing additional access information.
Technical Requirements (impacts all ASQ-owned eLearning)
- PC, Mac, or mobile device
- Audio speakers or headset
- High-speed internet connection
Browsers for ASQ Courses
You can view courses on any devices that support these browsers. This includes mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Android-enabled phones and tablets.
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Android OS 4.4 or later
Required Browser Settings for Viewing Courses
- Font downloads must be enabled to see the correct fonts and characters.
- When using Internet Explorer, turn off Compatibility View for sites where courses are hosted.
WebEx – Virtual Course: Advance Preparation and Student Information
Join a Test Session
We strongly suggest that you join a WebEx test session in advance of your scheduled virtual training, using your preferred web browser. This can help prevent problems launching content the day your training begins.
If you do not have administrative privileges on the SAME computer you will be using the day of your training (i.e., your workstation within your organization) you may need the assistance of your local IT/IS help desk staff for the platform to engage correctly.
To join a test session (meeting), click here and enter your name and email address to join. If successful, you will see a screen that says "Congratulations! Your system is now set up properly ..."
Deactivate Pop-up Blockers
You should deactivate any pop-up blockers, spam filters, and company firewalls that could prevent the WebEx client platform or web-based course from working properly. Third-party toolbars such as Bing, Yahoo, and Google should also be disabled due to their own pop-up blocking capabilities.
- If you need to cancel, we will refund your paid registration fee as noted below.
- Requests for cancellations/transfers received at least 5 business days before the start of the course receive a full refund/transfer.
- Requests received within 5 business days of the course starting incur a $150 processing fee.
- After the course starts, there are no refunds or transfers.
- Registrants who fail to attend without advance notice are liable for the entire course fee.
- If you cannot find a substitute, we can transfer your course fees to another ASQ course of your choice.
- You must successfully complete the entire course or program before IACET CEUs and a Certificate of Completion can be awarded.
A web-based, live, classroom-like instructor led experience allowing attendees to interact without traveling. Course includes online access to materials for a limited time and up to three hard copy prints. Some courses include an electronic book – see course description for details.
|June 28, 2021 - July 01, 2021 10:00 AM - 02:00 PM CST This class is filled to capacity Show Class Schedule||VIR0780||Rama Shankar CMBB, CQA, CSSBB, CSSGB||English||List: $999 Member: $899|
Attendance to all virtual sessions are required to earn a certificate of completion and for the course to be listed as completed on your ASQ transcript.
Times: 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM (Central Time Zone)
(virtual sessions are NOT recorded)
Schedule: (4 days)
6/28/2021 – 7/1/2021
Custom training options for your organization
Need cost-effective learning with customized delivery? ASQ can train your employees on your schedule.
5 Key Benefits of Training with ASQ:
- Single-Point Provider: Manage your teams live sessions and e-learning via a dedicated ASQ account manager for continuous guidance and support throughout your learning program.
- Reliability: ASQ's expert instructors and world-renowned quality content is at your service to upskill teams anywhere they are.
- Cost efficiency: Choose from virtual, face-to-face, and e-learning to optimize your ROI and minimize disruptions of your operations.
- Immediate results: Employees complete courses ready to apply what they have learned.
- Convenience: Get the training you need anytime, anywhere, from any device. Become an ASQ Organizational Member for even more benefits!