FMEA for Beginners
Assess your organization’s risk of failure. Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) is an essential component of a preventive action program. This course helps you implement this vital methodology while analyzing risks, determining areas in need of action, and applying mistake-proofing techniques.
This introductory course presents a step-by-step method for conducting Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA). It defines the role, methodologies, and implementation of FMEAs as an essential component of a preventive action program. Participants will determine FMEA objectives, potential failure cause and effect, assessment of risks, and preventive action plans. This interactive course includes handouts, practice exercises, job aids, design-process-service examples, quizzes, free FMEA excel template (editable), and a free desk reference. The class has been updated to be consistent with the FMEA 4th edition reference manual for use by automotive suppliers.
The course requires the completion of a homework assignment that will be graded by an instructor. Feedback is provided on all assignments.
Access to this course is for 90 days from the date of purchase. Any assignment that is failed and retaken will incur a remarking fee.
Questions? We Can Help.
- CEU Hours: 0.5
- Length: 5 Hours
- ASQ RU: 0.5
- Audience: New to Quality
- Provider: Quality WBT
- Define the properties of FMEA
- Brainstorm potential failures
- Assess risk of failure
- Determine areas that need action
- Apply FMEA methods
- Know your role for team participation
- Apply mistake
- proofing techniques
- Describe the purpose of the FMEA process.
- List at least three benefits of utilizing FMEA.
- Explain when FMEA should and should not be performed.
- Define the FMEA terms: failure mode, failure effect, failure cause, severity, occurrence, and detection.
- Complete a sample Design FMEA.
- Complete a sample Process FMEA.
- Write an executive summary for a sample FMEA.
- Locate documents pertaining to FMEA (TE spec. 402-29, FMEA guides, QMD Web site tools etc.).
- Understanding FMEAS
- FMEA Benefits
- Preparing for the FMEA
- Definition of Scope
- Establishment of Boundaries
- Assembling the Team
- Team Dynamics
- Gathering and Developing Preliminary Data
- Review All Available Products/Process Information
- Put It in a Picture/ Describe the Object of the FMEA
- Develop an FMEA Worksheet
- Brainstorm on Potential Failure Modes
- Determining Severity – Occurrence – Detection Ratings
- Defining the Ratings
- Risk Priority Numbers
- Prioritizing Failure Modes
- Preventing Problems
- Recommended Action
- Expect the Unexpected: Mistake Proofing
- Assign Responsibility for and Follow up on Recommended Action
- Re-evaluate Risk
This is a self-paced course that can be started at any time. You have 90 days to complete the course. Course content is nine hours long and is worth .50 CEU hours or .50 ASQ RUs.
- Example of FMEA for Service
- Example FMEA for Design – Process
- Blank FMEA Form
- Rating Scales
- Desk Reference
After course registration, you will receive an email with access instructions. If you do not, please check your email junk, spam, or clutter folders. If the email is not there, please contact ASQ. For virtual WebEx courses, you will receive another email 24 hours prior to the start of class containing additional access information.
Technical Requirements (impacts all ASQ-owned eLearning)
- PC, Mac, or mobile device
- Audio speakers or headset
- High-speed internet connection
Browsers for ASQ Courses
You can view courses on any devices that support these browsers. This includes mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, and Android-enabled phones and tablets.
- Windows: Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mac: Safari (latest version), Google Chrome (latest version), Firefox (latest version)
- Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Apple iOS 10 or later, Google Chrome in Android OS 4.4 or later
Required Browser Settings for Viewing Courses
- Font downloads must be enabled to see the correct fonts and characters.
- When using Internet Explorer, turn off Compatibility View for sites where courses are hosted.
WebEx – Virtual Course: Advance Preparation and Student Information
Join a Test Session
We strongly suggest that you join a WebEx test session in advance of your scheduled virtual training, using your preferred web browser. This can help prevent problems launching content the day your training begins.
If you do not have administrative privileges on the SAME computer you will be using the day of your training (i.e., your workstation within your organization) you may need the assistance of your local IT/IS help desk staff for the platform to engage correctly.
To join a test session (meeting), click here and enter your name and email address to join. If successful, you will see a screen that says "Congratulations! Your system is now set up properly ..."
Deactivate Pop-up Blockers
You should deactivate any pop-up blockers, spam filters, and company firewalls that could prevent the WebEx client platform or web-based course from working properly. Third-party toolbars such as Bing, Yahoo, and Google should also be disabled due to their own pop-up blocking capabilities.
Internet-based, self-paced training modules, which may involve combinations of text, visuals, audio, interactive simulations and quizzes (see specific courses for features and tools). These web-based courses require a computer and Internet access.
Custom training options for your organization
Need cost-effective learning with customized delivery? ASQ can train your employees on your schedule.
5 Key Benefits of Training with ASQ:
- Single-Point Provider: Manage your teams live sessions and e-learning via a dedicated ASQ account manager for continuous guidance and support throughout your learning program.
- Reliability: ASQ's expert instructors and world-renowned quality content is at your service to upskill teams anywhere they are.
- Cost efficiency: Choose from virtual, face-to-face, and e-learning to optimize your ROI and minimize disruptions of your operations.
- Immediate results: Employees complete courses ready to apply what they have learned.
- Convenience: Get the training you need anytime, anywhere, from any device. Become an ASQ Organizational Member for even more benefits!