Column: One Good Idea: Safeguard Analysis
Abstract:[Abstract from article]
Safeguard analysis offers a practical way to ensure that reliable safeguards are designed into activities to achieve product and process quality, avoid environmental insults, and protect the health and safety of employees.
- Draw a flowchart or diagram of the work process or work from an existing flowchart.
- Ask what can go wrong from quality, environmental, health and safety perspectives.
- Determine the effectiveness of the current safeguards.
- Design additional safeguards into the process to provide greater assurance that mistakes and problems do not occur.
- Physical safeguards
- Distance and time
- Labels, signs and alarms
- Measurement and inspection
- Training and education
- Administrative policies and …