Don’t put a bandage on a problem; fix the issue permanently. Root cause is the fundamental, underlying reason for a problem. This course allows you to identify the cause of a problem, solve it, and prevent it from occurring again. This saves your organization time, money, and resources.
This course will enable participants to understand root cause analysis as a procedure for ascertaining and analyzing the causes of problems in an effort to determine what can be done to solve or prevent them. Consisting of lectures, practice, and role-playing, this course is designed to provide attendees with an in-depth understanding of how to analyze a system to identify the root causes of problems.
- CEU Hours: 0
- Length: 15 Hours
- ASQ RU: 1.5
- Audience: Professional, Practitioner
- Provider: ASQ
- Enhance problem solving effectiveness by providing a model for more deeply analyzing problem situations.
- Clarify the difference between analytical and creative thinking, and when each is most useful.
- Promote the ability to provide problem-solving support in situations where one is not an expert in the process or technology involved.
- Expand the range of tools available for analysis of problem situations.
Who Should Attend:Quality, safety, risk, and reliability managers, process engineers, technicians, operations supervisors and personnel, process owners, occurrence investigators, analysts, maintenance directors, reliability professionals, and anyone who wants to improve their ability to solve recurring problems should attend this training. Manufacturing markets include core manufacturing markets in machinery and computer equipment, chemical and allied products, fabricated metals, electronics, transportation, and measurement/controlling industries. Service markets that could effectively leverage this course would include consulting/business services, financial services, wholesale/retail, transportation, utilities, and government.
Session 1:MODELS AND COMPONENTS OF RCA
- Correction versus corrective action
- Separating problem diagnosis versus solution identification and implementation
- Use of risk assessment within corrective action process
- How to ensure that the right problem is being worked on
- Tools and filters for priority setting
- Developing a clear and sufficient problem statement (includes practice)
- How every problem is a process failure
- How a SIPOC diagram can set boundaries and define interrelationships
- Using flowcharts to drill down into the right part of the process (includes practice)
- Five ways to identify possible causes
- Three options for selecting or eliminating causes
- Logic trees as a cause and effect diagram on steroids (includes practice):
- Causal search techniques
- The power of variable versus attribute data
- Check sheets, graphs, diagrams and tables for data collection
- Interviews observation for less precise data
- Tools for numeric data analysis (run charts, histograms, pareto diagram, dot plot)
- Tools for analyzing multiple factors simultaneously (pivot tables, multi-vari charts, Is/Is-Not table)
- Logical methods of data analysis (thought experiments, change/difference analysis
- Develop a diagnostic plan for a small but critical problem
Session 2:CASE STUDY REVIEW
- Review plans and key learning points
- Causes of and solutions for human error
- How incident/accident analysis differs
STEPS 6 & 7 - Identifying and selecting solutions
- Six methods for identifying solutions
- Simple and complex solution selection methods
- Some models for understanding resistance and planning change
- Multiple aspects of follow-up
- Spreading and sustaining results
FormatThis two-day, face-to-face course provides an interactive learning design and a high level of support from an instructor in using specific tools to determine root cause and identify solutions.
MaterialsDigital course content and Root Cause Analysis: The Core of Problem Solving and Corrective Action handbook are included in the purchase price of the course.
- If you need to cancel, we will refund your paid registration fee as noted below.
- Requests for cancellations/transfers received at least 5 business days before the start of the course receive a full refund/transfer.
- Requests received within 5 business days of the course starting incur a $150 processing fee.
- After the course starts, there are no refunds or transfers.
- Registrants who fail to attend without advance notice are liable for the entire course fee.
- If you cannot find a substitute, we can transfer your course fees to another ASQ course of your choice.
- You must successfully complete the entire course or program before IACET CEUs and a Certificate of Completion can be awarded.
An instructor-led traditional classroom experience. Classroom-based instruction involves the highest level of instructor/student interaction. We offer classroom style training in two formats. See public and on-site.
Custom training options for your organization
Need cost-effective learning with customized delivery? ASQ can train your employees on your schedule.
5 Key Benefits of Training with ASQ:
- Single-Point Provider: Manage your teams live sessions and e-learning via a dedicated ASQ account manager for continuous guidance and support throughout your learning program.
- Reliability: ASQ's expert instructors and world-renowned quality content is at your service to upskill teams anywhere they are.
- Cost efficiency: Choose from virtual, face-to-face, and e-learning to optimize your ROI and minimize disruptions of your operations.
- Immediate results: Employees complete courses ready to apply what they have learned.
- Convenience: Get the training you need anytime, anywhere, from any device. Become an ASQ Organizational Member for even more benefits!