Definition: Statistical Engineering is the collaborative study and application of the tactical links between statistical thinking and statistical and discipline-specific tools with the objective of guiding better understanding of uncertainty in knowledge and decision-making to generate improved results to benefit the organization and/or society.
The ASQ Statistics Division is committed to promoting the concepts and methods of Statistical Engineering. For those who wish to become better acquainted with the ideas, please see the list of materials below:
- Statistical Engineering (MP4), by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, March 2011.
- Statistical Engineering (PDF), by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, March 2011.
- Statistical Engineering—Forming the Foundations, Editors: Christine M. Anderson-Cook, Lu Lu
- Statistical Engineering—Roles for Statisticians and the Path Forward, Editors: Christine M. Anderson-Cook, Lu Lu
- Statistical Engineering: Principles and Examples, by Lynne Hare
- Leadership—Essential for Developing the Discipline of Statistical Engineering, by Ronald Snee and Roger Hoerl
- Statistical Engineering: Six Decades of Improved Process and Systems Performance, by Richard Shainin
- Illustrating the Practice of Statistics as a Stepping Stone to Statistical Engineering, by C. A. Hamada and M.S. Hamada
- Statistical Engineering, a Missing Ingredient in the Introductory Statistics Course, by William I. Notz
- Undergraduate Statistics Curriculum: A Large, Unstructured, Complex Problem, by Connie M. Borror
- The Q.LIFE® Engine: A Work of Statistical Engineering, by Sara B. Pocinki et al.
- Statistical Engineering to Stabilize Vaccine Supply, by Julia O’Neill et al.
- Setting Appropriate Fill Weight Targets—A Statistical Engineering Case Study, by William A. Brenneman and Michael D. Joner, Jr
- Statistical Process Control for Monitoring Nonlinear Profiles: A Six Sigma Project on Curing Process, by Shing I. Chang et al.
- Variability Reduction: A Statistical Engineering Approach to Engage Operations Teams in Process Improvement, by Susan O. Schall
- Modeling the Reliability of Complex Systems with Multiple Data Sources: A Case Study on Making Statistical Tools Accessible to Engineers, by Christine Anderson-Cook et al.
- Aerospace Research through Statistical Engineering, by Rachel T. Silvestrini & Peter A. Parker
- Statistical Engineering Perspective on Planetary Entry, Descent, and Landing Research by Sean A. Commo & Peter A. Parker
- Design for Variation, by Grant Reinman et al
- Quality Quandaries*: The Case of Premature Drill Wear Out, by Jo Mooren et al.
(Membership or subscription may be required to access)
- Desired and Feared - What Do We Do Now and Over the Next 50 Years?, by Xiao-Li Meng, The American Statistician, August 2009.
- Post-financial meltdown: What do the services industries need from us now? by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, September, 2009
- Moving the Statistics Profession Forward, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, The American Statistician, February 2010.
- Closing the Gap, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Quality Progress, May 2010.
- Tried and True, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Quality Progress, June 2010.
- Statistical Thinking and Methods in Quality Improvement: A Look to the Future by Roger Hoerl and Ronald Snee, Quality Engineering, June 2010
- Further Explanation, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Quality Progress, December 2010.
- Engineering an Advantage, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Six Sigma Forum Magazine, February 2011.
- Statistical Engineering: Is it Just Another Word for Applied Statistics?, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Joint Newsletter for the Section on Physical and Engineering Sciences and the Quality and Productivity Section of the American Statistical Association, April 2011. (Article begins on page 4)
- Proper Blending, by Roger Hoerl and Ron Snee, Quality Progress, June 2011.
- Speak their Language, by Christine Anderson-Cook, Six Sigma Forum Magazine, August 2011.
- Taking Stock, by Christine Anderson-Cook, Quality Progress, September 2011.
- Weighing Your Options, by Christine Anderson-Cook and Lu Lu, Quality Progress, October 2012.
- Inquiry on Pedigree, by Ronald Snee and Roger Hoerl, Quality Progress, December 2012.
- Let's Be Realistic, by Christine Anderson-Cook, Quality Progress, March 2013
http://engineering.larc.nasa.gov/2011_NASA_Statistical_Engineering_Symposium.html May 2011 NASA Statistical Engineering Symposium (contains links to presentations)