Daily Post (North Wales)
February 16, 2017
Device blew up as mother drove with her 13-yr-old son in the car
A UK mother-of-two has told of her panic when an e-cigarette charger exploded while she was driving with her son in the car.
Charlotte Bellis and 13-year-old Lewis escaped uninjured after she managed to pull over and disconnect the device.
"Shocked" discount chain B&M said they will investigating the incident after Charlotte bought the Chinese-made charger from one of its stores for £17.99.
Charlotte, from Connah's Quay, said, "It had been plugged in for five minutes when it caught fire. I just panicked and pulled it out.
"At first it was like a sparkler and then there was a flame. My eldest son was in the car with me and I was worried."
Guidelines on the device's box say it is suitable for iPhones, iPads and for general use as a charger, and also claims it's "certified by Apple".
But the fire service said only chargers specifically for e-cigarettes should be used with them. Charlotte added: "Luckily there was no damage to the car because we pulled it out straight away.
"It could have been a different story if it had been plugged in at home and I hadn't been there."
A spokeswoman for North wales Fire and Rescue Service said: "Power adaptors used for charging e-cigarettes should comply with The Electrical (Safety) Equipment Regulations 1994 and The Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006.
"It is recommended that only the battery and charger provided with the e-cigarette are used when charging."
A spokesman for B&M said: "We're shocked to hear about the incident and have made our supplier aware.
"We've not had complaints about this product before, so would ask that the customer get in touch with our customer service team so we can investigate the incident."
Copyright 2017 Trinity Mirror Plc. All Rights Reserved.
Quality News Today is an ASQ member benefit offering quality related news
from around the world every business day.