Chris began his Metrology career as a US Air Force technician. Following a six-year enlistment, Chris went to work for US Navy calibration laboratories in Alaska and Bermuda and then NASA calibration laboratories at John Glenn Research Center (OH) and Kennedy Space Center (FL). After leaving NASA, Chris worked for Digital Equipment Corp. (MA) before accepting a position with Compaq Computer (TX) now known as Hewlett-Packard (HP). Chris is the operations manager for HP’s Houston Metrology Group and holds the title of master engineer.
Chris is an ASQ senior member, ASQ’s Measurement Quality Division (MQD) treasurer and National Conference of Standards Laboratories International (NCSLI) liaison. Chris is an editorial advisor for the International Journal of Metrology and a technical advisor for the National Association for Proficiency Testing (NAPT).
Chris has authored three metrology freeware software packages used by measurement professionals throughout the world, has written scores of articles for metrology / measurement publications, championed the creation of ASQ’s Certified Calibration Technician (CCT) program and is a co-author of ASQ Quality Press The Metrology Handbook. Chris has been awarded the following:
• 1998 Dr. Allan V. Astin Award for best overall conference paper (NCSLI)
• 2002 Max J. Unis Award for noteworthy contributions in the Metrology community (ASQ-MQD)
• 2003 Excellence Award for program leadership (ASQ-Certification Board)
• 2004 Test Engineer of Year Award for North America1 (Test & Measurement World Magazine)
• 2006 Best Conference Paper, Quality & Management category (NCSLI)
• 2007 Certificate of Appreciation for Metrology Job Description Initiative (US Army)
• 2007 Award of Recognition for significant contribution, RP-3 Calibration Procedures (NCSLI)
• 2008 Education & Training Award for outstanding contributions in the field of Metrology education (NCSLI)
• 2009 Max J. Unis Award2 for noteworthy contributions in the Metrology community (ASQ-MQD)
• 2010 Award of Recognition for significant contribution, Metrology DVD outreach project (NCSLI)
• 2010 Award of Recognition for significant contribution, Metrology Human Resource Handbook (NCSLI)
• 2012 Award of Recognition for significant contribution, Workplace and Professional Development (NCSLI)
1 First person bestowed this annual award
2 First time ASQ-MQD bestowed this award to an individual a second time
Chris holds a B.S. in Technology and Management from the Univ. of Maryland, a B.S. in Electronics Engineering from the Cooks Institute of Electronics Engineering and a MBA from Regis University.