The Division sponsors a National Conference, is a co-sponsor of the annual Measurement Science Conference, organizes and presents topic sessions at the Annual Quality Congress, provides tutorials, technical publications, maintains an Internet mailing list, bestows the Max J. Unis Award and the Joe D. Simmons Memorial Scholarship, and conducts other educational and professional networking activities.
The Division’s goals include:
- Participation in the management and technical development of the field of measurement quality.
- Developing a written body of knowledge
- Developing a certification examination for metrologists and calibration personnel
- Providing the opportunity to learn how the principles of quality improvement and quality assurance apply to the measurement process
- Supporting the development of uniform national and international standards to meet current and future measurement quality needs.
- Promoting measurements and measurement quality within the Society, and serving the needs of other Divisions with respect to measurement quality
- Collaborating with institutions of higher learning to develop and support educational programs in the fields of measurement science and measurement quality assurance
- Maintaining close association with the National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) and other organizations that promote and coordinate measurement science and measurement quality such as the National Conference of Standards Laboratories and the Measurement Science Conference.
- Sponsoring conferences, symposia, tutorials, publications, Internet activities, scholarships and awards, and other educational efforts in metrology and measurement quality assurance, and
- Emphasizing the need for measurement quality within other professions so that measurement requirements are considered well in advance of the actual measurement process.
- Benefits of membership
- Opportunities to network with other metrologists and quality professionals involved in measurement science and measurement quality assurance
- A subscription to The Standard—our highly acclaimed informative division newsletter, focusing on science, art, and news in the measurement field
- Access to Division-sponsored national and regional conferences and meetings focused on measurement quality
- Access to regional councilors for technical advice, meeting speakers, and participation in local activities
- Forums to expand and share knowledge of measurement systems, standards, practices, and documentation
- Opportunities to expand and share your own knowledge of measurement systems, standards, practices, and documentation
- Opportunities to learn how the principles of quality improvement and the use of quality tools enhance measurement processes
- Opportunities to participate in the further development of the fields of measurement science and measurement quality
- Opportunities to participate in national and international standards-writing process.