- About ISO 14000
- Learn About Standards
- Our Standards
- Related Topics
What Is the ISO 14000 Standards Series?
ISO 14000 is a series of international, voluntary environmental management standards, guides, and technical reports. The standards specify requirements for establishing an environmental policy, determining environmental impacts of products or services, planning environmental objectives, implementing programs to meet objectives, and conducting corrective action and management review.
The primary objective of the ISO 14000 series of standards is to promote effective environmental management systems in organizations. The standards seek to provide cost-effective tools that make use of best practices for organizing and applying information about environmental management.
The ISO 14000 family was developed in response to a recognized industry need for standardization. With different organizational approaches to environmental management, comparisons of systems and collaboration had proved difficult.
ISO 14000 facts
- Applies to any organization regardless of size or industry.
- ISO 14001:2015 is the most popular standard of the ISO 14000 family, which also includes standards such as the following:
- ISO 14004 - General guidelines on principles, systems and support techniques
- ISO 14006 - Guidelines for incorporating ecodesign
- ISO 14015 - Environmental assessment of sites and organizations (EASO)
- ISO 14020 - Environmental labels and declarations
- ISO 14031 - Environmental performance evaluation
- ISO 14040 - Life cycle assessment
- ISO 14050 - Vocabulary
- ISO 14063 - Environmental communication
- ISO 14064 - Greenhouse gases
- ISO 19011 - Guidelines for auditing management systems
- Find more standards in the ISO 14000 family
ISO 14000 history
- The first environmental management system standard, BS 7750, was published in 1992 by the BSI group
- In 1996, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) created the ISO 14000 family of standards
- ISO 14001 underwent revision in 2004
- The current revision of ISO 14001 was published in September 2015
Get Started with ISO 14000
ASQ is the only place to get the American National Standard version of ISO 14001, the most popular standard in the ISO 14000 family.
Why did you look up ISO 14000?
Please let us know what resources your organization needs to support its ISO 14000 efforts. If you would like a reply, please include an email address.