Jay Arthur, owner, president and CEO of KnowWare International
1. Where do you work?
I am owner, president and CEO of KnowWare International headquartered in Denver.
2. What do you do?
I develop and sell quality improvement macros for Excel, an Excel add-in that produces lean Six Sigma charts and graphs (histogram, Pareto, fishbone and control charts and more than 100 others).
3. What’s your educational background?
I have a bachelor’s degree from the University of Arizona in operations research and completed coursework for a master’s degree from Rutgers University.
4. How long have you been an ASQ member?
More than 10 years.
5. What do you think is most important in implementing a Six Sigma project?
The most important aspect of implementing a Six Sigma project is gathering and organizing the correct data and making sure the process is stable.
6. Why do you think Six Sigma is important?
Six Sigma applies to almost every business and industry. It’s important because it can literally save lives (such as in medical and safety settings) and can save businesses.
7. Why do you think quality is important?
Quality has to be maintained for the safety of consumers. It also is necessary to allow customers to maintain trust of the manufacturer, service provider or business.
8. What’s your favorite benefit of quality?
My favorite aspect of quality is helping someone improve their process or finding the root cause of their problem.
9. Why did you choose to go into the quality field?
I love making the complex simple.
10. What’s your best advice to someone new to quality?
Learn a little every day; don’t try to understand it all at once.