Step 1. Is this the right certification for you?
Here are the requirements, experience and exam specifics for a Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence. If you already know that this is the certification you want to pursue, move on to exam preparation.
Education and/or Experience
Work experience must be in a full time, paid role. Paid intern, co-op or any other course work cannot be applied towards the work experience requirement.
You must have 10 years of on-the-job experience in one or more of the areas of the Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence Body of Knowledge. A minimum of five years of this experience must be in a decision-making position, defined as the authority to define, execute or control projects/processes and to be responsible for the outcome. This may or may not include management or supervisory positions.
If you've been certified by ASQ as a Quality Auditor, Reliability Engineer, Software Quality Engineer, or Quality Engineer, experience used to qualify for certification in these fields applies to certification as a Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence, as long as the 10-year minimum requirement is met.
If you have completed a degree from a college, university, or technical school with accreditation accepted by ASQ, part of the 10-year experience requirement will be waived(only one of these waivers may be claimed):
- Diploma from a technical or trade school - one year will be waived
- Associate degree - two years waived
- Bachelor's degree - four years waived
- Master's or doctorate - five years waived
Degrees or diplomas from educational institutions outside the United States must be equivalent to degrees from U.S. educational institutions.
Minimum Expectations of a Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence
- Must be a professional who leads and champions process improvement initiatives in organizations that can have regional or global focus in a variety of product or service settings.
- Must lead team efforts to establish and monitor customer/supplier relations, supports strategic planning and deployment initiatives.
- Must help develop measurement systems to determine organizational improvement.
- Must motivate and evaluate staff, manage projects and human resources.
- Must analyze financial situations, determine and evaluate risk, and employ knowledge management tools and techniques in resolving organizational challenges.
Each certification candidate is required to pass a written examination that consists of multiple-choice questions that measure comprehension of the Body of Knowledge. The Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence examination is a four-hour, two-part examination - 150 multiple choice questions and two constructed response (essay) questions. It is offered in English.
Examinations are conducted throughout the year and are delivered via computer based testing (CBT) through ASQ's testing partner Prometric. All examinations are open-book. Each participant must bring his or her own reference materials. Use of reference materials and calculators is explained in the FAQ.
Please Note: The Body of Knowledge for certification is affected by new technologies, policies, and the changing dynamics of manufacturing and service industries. Changed versions of the examination based on the current Body of Knowledge are used at each offering.
Are you ready to get started? Prepare for the exam. >>>