Daniel Zrymiak is an Influential Voices blogger and longtime ASQ member. He has worked in quality for two decades, and is active in ASQ as a Quality Press author and reviewer, member leader, Technical Committee chair, and Fellow, the highest level of membership. He lives in Canada and blogs at A QualitEvolution.
In this guest post, I hope to advise ASQ members and the wider quality community on how to optimize an ASQ membership. By actively participating in ASQ programs and benefits and by keeping current personal records, ASQ can be experienced as a professional loyalty program.
Just as an airline or hotel loyalty program would require you to be a passenger or hotel guest, any association or society places certain expectations. With progressive levels of achievement and advancement, more privileges and opportunities are available within ASQ (and within most associations that you may wish to join).
For a professional association like ASQ, some effective ways to build loyalty are summarized below:
1. Attend and present at ASQ meetings. From the most humble local section
gathering to the grandest palatial ballroom of the ASQ World Conference, the opportunity to interact and be a visible presence reinforces that ASQ extends beyond your local location, region, or industry specialization. The breadth and scope of ASQ can be most appreciated through direct interactions with other quality professionals.
2. Pursue certification and professional experience. Certification allows the time spent within ASQ to be effectively leveraged to the benefit of your career. As a personal example, I applied an ASQ Certified Software Quality Engineer certification and professional experience to teach software QA at local universities and colleges.
3. Volunteer to serve as a member leader. Whether in an elected office or appointed position with a section or division, joining the growing community of member leaders within ASQ extends the involvement and creates the satisfaction that comes from addressing and fulfilling challenges.
4. Contribute your knowledge. Those ASQ members who devote their time as reviewers, authors, presenters, moderators, curriculum developers, or intellectual property contributors may be eligible for additional rewards which can include gifts, discounts on ASQ merchandise, honoraria, subsidized or complimentary conference registration, and recognition events.
5. Track your achievements and remain in good standing. By paying and renewing membership fees in a timely manner, interruptions are avoided. A disrupted or intermittent record may create restrictions or lost opportunities for certain benefits. Also be sure to keep your personal records with accuracy and thoroughness. Delaying the tracking may result in having your work not properly credited toward future member benefits.
6 .Complete your recertification. The steps to recertification permit you to retain your professional standing by submitting your validated records of professional involvement, in a most convenient and accessible manner.
7. Access an unlimited knowledge base. This benefit includes intellectual property retained through collections of publications, as well as the exposure to global expertise from experienced and successful practitioners, academics, and authors. In addition, you can take advantage of multiple opportunities to conveniently acquire mentors and to mentor others within the profession, providing a cost-effective advantage over the expensive alternative of career consultants or executive coaches.
8. Upgrade to senior membership. This member level is available after ASQ members have attained or achieved levels of experience and fulfillment in particular areas (i.e. certification, career level, duration of membership). The immediate financial benefit can be realized from the free journal, the benefit of which exceeds the incremental membership cost. ASQ Senior Members also may take on additional levels of responsibility and influence within ASQ.
9. Pursue senior leadership and governance. ASQ provides members with opportunities for election into roles of authority and influence, such as section, division, or board leadership. This enables exceptional opportunities to demonstrate leadership and interact with corporate and government leaders.
10. Position for higher honors. Outstanding ASQ members and quality practitioners can be recognized by ASQ (i.e. Fellow memberships, ASQ awards). For the competitive awards process, a personal portfolio of professional and personal accomplishments must be submitted for evaluation and selection. However, falling short does not mean rejection or failure, only the added inspiration to improve and attain greater achievements.
To get the most from the loyalty capital you have cultivated over time, it is imperative that you strive for the promise of your full potential, all that awaits you within ASQ, and wherever your passionate pursuits may lead.
To learn more about ASQ membership, please see the ASQ membership page, call the ASQ Customer Care group, or email email@example.com. If you’re an ASQ member seeking more information on leadership and volunteering opportunities or awards, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or your ASQ Community Development administrator.