Feelings and Quality Culture

Culture. More specifically, Quality Culture.  I’ve been asked to speak on the topic of creating a quality culture.  Now, I’m not short of opinion on the topic, and that opinion has been shaped over the years by many insights, lessons, and discussions. There is plenty of content on the topic. Some good, some not so good – of course, depending on how it aligns with my opinion.

I welcome your views on a few questions that I don’t see covered in the content, even the good content, that I think would be valuable and will help influence my speech.  So, thanks in advance for your good help, blog readers and commenters.

If you’re working on a culture of quality, or sustaining one, what do you look for in the people you hire into the organization?  How can you tell whether an applicant will contribute to, thwart, or work at quality culture goals? What attitudes support the success of a culture of quality? Are the personal attributes universal, or do they in your experience differ around the world?

When you’re in a culture of quality, how does it feel? Or, how do you feel? At the moment I’m intrigued by feelings and think more organizations are turning their attention to feelings. Feelings, after all, are at the heart of experience and emotional attachment, which we all understand to drive loyalty and success.

I was recently in an Apple Store (Apple as in Mac books) and was asked several times about my feelings. And the team members who were helping my son and me worked really hard to excite us about our purchase.

It piqued my curiosity. Hospitals are talking about hospitality and one very well-regarded system hired a hotelier as its CEO.  One large high tech company calls its Chief Quality Officer the VP of Customer Experience.  So feelings, which we too seldom associate with business logic, will, I believe, grow in attention and actions.  What are the feelings you associate with a culture of quality?  Your stories are most welcome.

This entry was posted in Current Events, Customer Service, Quality, case for quality, culture and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Feelings and Quality Culture

1. The Quality Culture is obtained by the employees only when there is an OWNERSHIP quality in them….”My Company”. This is one of the very prime concerns to obtain within an organisation. The priority must be to make them feel important for being there. The CEO can not do things alone nor can the owner of the company without the support of the staff. The WIN WIN approach by the management with motivation at all levels sponsors the good working environment or the good working climate of the workplace in particular.
    Let there be a KAIZEN of the day by the employees on rotation and they should be honoured and recognized for their talents to improve the work environment. Let this be a a normal practice in sway to undergo motivation and recognition for all within the organisation. Cheers…

• Kingsley Commodore says:

One mistake i realize these days is the over emphasis of organizations on using clients demand as the major driving force in what quality system they build.It goes without saying that you have to please the customer to keep the checks coming,however i feel there should be a balance between customer/consumer driven quality approach against the clients driven approach.If not integrity will be compromised.What do you look for in a potential hire to help build a succesful quality culture?I wil rather not worry about that.I will worry more about the quality culture that prevails in my organizations because that will reinforce/augment whatever values they are bringing to the table.Its like been born of parents of say african heritage and born into/raised in america.English as a language(and in this case quality as a way of life or culture) will come naturally to you because thats the language thats spoken.In that same vein organizations need to provide a conducive atmosphere that enables and empowers employees to get on board/seek to better themselves and the system.Management must not only show a strong commitment to developing quality but must walk-the-talk.Management must also be bold and decisive when it comes to implementing changes.Finally i beleieve a great part depends on the individuals desires and ambitions.Like my friend will say,you can name your son Jesus and send him to a monastery when hes born but he can still choose to be a liability to soceity if he wants and desires.

2. Steven says:

Quality culture always starts from quality awareness. and then quality ownership, process capability… whatever it’s a top down or bottom up, all employee involving is the key. If you want to build quality culture from nothing…

3. Roland Aucoin says:

“Feelings…? Bah, Humbug!!” I have been told in an email that the respondent did not care “one wit” (my paraphrase) about how I felt about things. This was in response to my email where I overtly made assertive “I feel that …” statements. So, there! Truth be told, I had to smile at the retort because the respondent was certainly expressing feelings about the subject and my email.

I am a firm believer that “quality” is what occurs when people, be it onsies, twosies, teams, or big groups, are doing or seriously attempting to do the “right thing”, the correct action. For me, when it happens, I feel good. Not well; good. My feeling is a tingle like a child getting that special gift. It likely means that the “right thing” does not often happen, or happen often enough.

4. Brigid Glass says:

Intellect, Emotions, Behaviour: the three are inextricably linked. If someone changes how they are feeling, this will manifest in how they are thinking and in their behaviour. To build a Quality Culture, it’s necessary to address all three, though we tend to focus on thinking and behaving.
    As an example, Deming’s 12th principle: drive out fear.

5. Abhijit says:

What I think of quality is that it is in built in every creature, only thing is that how to make use of it in an appropriate way for fuilfilling our as well as Company goals.
    Quality is not to be misunderstood as an concept to be used in only company it should be practiced in our day to day life such as Driving,cooking,outing and so on….

6. Rajesh P C says:

A very interesting topic indeed and found the word ‘feeling’ most appropriate. Some of the feelings associated with a top notch quality team are pride, trust, confidence, ownership, professionalism, commitment and concern or care. Most of the time what’s felt is the lack or gaps in quality. One notices a pizza delivery timing when its’ late rather than the 50 times when they were delivered perfectly. Now, that’s human nature. Hence, what matters in a quality culture is the ability to handle quality related issues in the right spirit rather than resorting to blame game. So, its’ not just about the number of customer complaints or the lead time to complaint closure but the capability of the organization to find the root cause and ensure that the complaint does not recur.
    One indication of this culture, could be the counter person who goes to great extent to find the exact nature of the complaint from a customer. The person may not resolve the customer’s complaint immediately but the customer get’s a feel of the culture the person represents and the time taken by the organization to resolve the complaint gives further conviction to the customer on the company. Hence, a quality culture not just enables the customer to have a ‘feel of the company but more importantly gives the employees a sense of pride to be associated with this company..

7. Cyril says:

Customer centric culture of Quality is created by leaders, Employees feel the pride of the product and express its features.

8. Robin Krzeszewski says:

“Let there be a KAIZEN of the day by the employees on rotation and they should be honoured and recognized for their talents to improve the work environment.”
    It is an inspiration to hear those words. I am in the process of Lean Implementation in my work place. Sometimes, with all the work that is involved, it is too easy to forget the our employees should indeed be recognized for their part in improving the process. This has been a great and refreshing reminder. Thank you.

9. Thank you for asking. True quality makes a person happy. How can an organization make all stakeholders feel happy and satisfied? Perhaps the answer lies more in giving, sharing, and helping the needy. I quote Mata Amritanandamayi, “Amma has a desire: Everyone in the world should be able to sleep without fear at least one night. Everyone should be able to eat to his or her fill at least for one day. There should be at least one day when hospitals see no one admitted due to violence.
    By doing selfless service for at least one day, everyone—from little children to the very elderly—should help raise money for the poor and needy—even if by making toys.
    It is Amma’s prayer that at least this small dream be realized

Can business adopt this as their philosophy? I for myself feel that I am working in a high quality organization.

10. “Care and Quality are internal and external aspects of the same thing. A person who sees Quality and feels it as he works is a person who cares.”
    - – - Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert Pirsig

In Quality Makes Money, Pat Townsend defined it as when everyone in the company is involved in small projects to improve the organization.

Some organizations measure their Quality DNA.

One thing it is not, is just hotel service, but service is an element.

It is clearly an all encompassing feeling in the company that improvement is everyone’s job. How to get there is another issue.

11. Benjamin says:

I agree with you, but I have this concern lately when I see the manupulation of certain CEO’s (and related people), talking about Quality with the hidden agenda of only making money, money, money… We can hear them talking about this purpose of serving the people (In my case the Health care industry) with high quality products, but in the practice (in the manufacturing line) they make the pressure to make production, sales, and of course money, money, money…$$$$. And even worse, making executive decisions of cuts of resources (normally Quality resources) because they become an expense that does’nt “add” nothing to the product and is a cost. What do you think? Quality Pays? or is just another cute bumper sticker thought.

12. jeanne yudin says:

While I agree that feelings are important and may contribute to employee tenure (although in these financial times, that may not be so), I have been in this game long enough to recognize what seems on the surface to be advanced thinking, but underneath is merely new thinking. We too often believe that new means advanced. I have been through everything from Zero Defects on, including SPC, TQM, TM, Re-Engineering, Lean and Six Sigma. Boeing has now jettisoned SPC and is touting RCCA (root cause and corrective action) and true to form, there are procedures and separate auditing for RCCA. Some of these contain valuable tools when used in the right situation. None is the do-all, be-all; so they all fall into disfavor with upper management when the performance does not meet the hype.

Just because a hospital or anyone else decides to change the name of the top Quality person to VP of customer experience, does meet squat as far as to whether they have good quality or not. Top management again is looking for what Deming denounced as “buzz words and banners.” It is up to seasoned quality professionals (yourself perhaps? I am not familiar with your CV) to stop them in their tracks and focus on that darn Q word without trying to invent some other sexy words and titles in the hope that the new words and titles will be analogous, at last, to the “second coming.”

13. I suspect it is getting time to be more holistic and look at “corporate culture”. We have “Contractor Assurance”, “Safety Conscious Work Environment”, “Behavior Based Safety”, “Human Performance Initiative” and all sorts of alphabet soups of cultures, just in the US Department of Energy (google some of these terms at your leisure).

I have been impressed that the PANTEX site has taken Dr. Deming’s System of Profound Knowledge and merged it in with the Fifth Discipline (Senge) and “Learning Organizations” and “High Reliability Organizations” for their work with nuclear weapons decommissioning. See http://www.efcog.org/wg/ca/events/fall08mtg/presentations/Intro_to_BW_Pantex_HRO_Program_10-08_b.pdf

• Brien Palmer says:

I agree! I am impressed that the NRC, for example, continues to move “upstream” from legalistic compliance to a more holistic understanding of what it takes to embed Quality in people and organizations. Since the Quality discipline arguable originated in industrial engineering, it has historically stressed the “hard” components. As any OD practitioner or enlightened business exec will tell you, the “hard” components cannot succeed without the “soft” ones, as our very humanity is defined by relationships and soft skills. As a hard-wired analytical type, it has taken me many years to realize this, and I now consider that nothing is more important to Quality or business than emotional intelligence, culture, behavioral competencies, and other “soft” skills.

14. Rodrigo Bataglini Nogueira says:

I fully agree that feelings are essential for the Quality Culture, and we must not associate Quality only to no-defects, or standartization or some other tool that measures something.
    When I am looking for an employee, I expect him to think that he is parts of the company and not only part of a department, he must act as the owner that will do the best to get customers excited with our products, I want to get my employees and my customers proud of being part of the products we offer to the market, I really want to get the customers confortable with their purchase, because even if a problem is detected, it will be immediatly fixed.
    Those are some examples of the fellings I look for, I trully believe that Quality must be in the mindset of everyone, and in the perfect world the Quality department should not exist in any company because everyone would be doing the right thing for their customers.

15. Js. Gilberto Concepcion says:

Simply. A Quality culture have to reach to a state of fun. Is a state of mind. In order to go to any improvement process you have to train your brain and your mind first. Otherwise, we will be traditional thinkers. It is like an athlete. You have to measure your progress, but quantum progress will only be reach with an increase in the symmetry and velocity of our thinking.
    Regards from Dominican Republic.
    Js. Gilberto

16. Valerie Hau says:

The best feeling of Quality I have had is when if asked if you are able to put your personal name and contact information on what you are doing (product, development, decision etc.) so that the customer can personally contact you if they have questions, comments or problems, I find the decisions will change. Each person them has the OWNERSHIP that Dr Dheeraj Mehrotra mentioned above, but only if there is action associated with the decisions. If the developer, manufacture, operator is not willing to put their name on the item – should it be passed to the customer?

17. David C. Adams says:

My feelings to detect and prove out a quality product is deep rooted since 8 years of age (now 50). Seems like it’s a natural inheritence to just pick out quality when I see it. The problem I have in today’s manufacturing industry however is top management doesn’t get it nor understand it. A BA in Business Admin is lame against the likes of an ME, EE, QEs. So whenever an unsatisfied customer or defects come along, they blame the very dept who requested in the first place the funds necessary to implement automated controls that control/adjust the product quality to 99.999% consistency. “Well we can’t do that”… or “We need a payoff ROI of 6 months to 1 year”. Same old story, $ talks and quality walks. Meanwhile lost customers, cost, delivery, scrap, defects, rework, and the time wasted managing it all are ignored by the American business owners and managers as long as it doesn’t hit their stock growth or back pocket. I once worked for a well known farm implement co (not JD), that spent so much $ on quality program “window dressing” that products were being shipped out with defects due to the high cost of rework. They woudn’t allow the actual operators to join in on a Kaizen project because of missing an hour/per week of production. Yet when it came time to present a Kaizen project to the company owners, they required the operator(s) be present and help present the Kaizen project when they had absolutely no idea what was going on. That’s “window dressing” at it’s finest and it stinks!! So you can be training in all the quality ASQ has to offer, but bottom line… It’s up to owners, top management, and middle management to throw out the idea of accountants running their companies and start letting the engineers, supervisors, and shop floor personnel call some shots. They are the ones who know what needs done and why.

18. Brice W. says:

The feelings I’ve associated to companies with a true quality culture are: Fun, proactive, interactive over the entire organization, progressive, continually improving, continually learning/training, lots of communications from top to bottom, and lots of data collecting and sharing at all levels of the company, and no one is afraid to suggest a new way, management actually listens, you work smarter not harder, and its biggest supporter is at the top of the company.

In terms of hiring, just hire the right people…it’s that simple. Diversity is key. I’ve had experiences with the most difficult employee becoming the most valuable because once they saw the value and became committed to the culture quality; they were the largest supporters and promoters. So focus on the right people for the job and don’t make assumptions about how people will perform, the rest will work itself out. Set the expectations clearly and manage to those, be consistent in your approach and your message. And let’s be real, there is constant change and that change includes some level of employee turnover at all levels and that is just part of business and goes back to hiring the right people. Each departure is an opportunity for someone internally to advance, or to potentially bring in an even more skilled employee.

When I first took over as the manager of a high production operation one of my first ‘actions’ was to walk up to the floor and shut it all down to talk with the shift employees and supervisors. No one had ever done this before, so you can imagine that caught attention all the way to the top of the company. I set ground rules for the meeting, kept it under 10 minutes (shut down to start up) and I was honest with the teams, I wanted ideas for improvement but there was no way we could test everyone’s idea. And I made it clear I needed their help. These direct communications with the shift teams and the ideas and process improvements increased production that was sustained. We found better ways to do our jobs, (and we saw the tasks as ‘our jobs’) which resulted in more production at higher quality levels with the same staff.

Creating a quality culture in a company new to the idea can take years to fully develop and is one of the hardest tasks to accomplish, but it’s worth every second in the end. It not only creates success for the company, but truly is a place you enjoy going to each day.

19. Jack Reardon says:

I believe feelings are so important in creating a quality culture, because quality is an attitude. If employees have a good attitude about the company and their contribution to the company, there will be good morale and good feelings. If, on the other hand, the attitude is poor, everything is poor. So, the question is, who creates this attitude? There is only one answer, management! Employee empowerment and allowing employees to become involved in creating attitude and management visibly displaying support and recognition, is the best way to create this culture of change and improvement. Empowerment comes from knowledge, knowledge is power, therefore management needs to allow and support training as part of their commitment to creating this culture. A major benefit in process improvement is morale improvement, I have seen this transformation many times and yes, feelings about the job and the company also improve.

20. Paul Tung says:

Quality is a concept that requires understanding and respect of onself as well as others. The quality culture that most company tries to achieve fails due to a lack of respect of the individual.

21. Jeffrey Worthington says:

I always get a little nervous when the concept of a culture is mentioned as in “quality culture” or “safety culture.” That is only because if not addressed correctly, culture can become a convenient label to create the false belief that if you just say you have it, then everything will be OK. In fact, the use of the term “culture” implies there are very specific ACTIONS that are being taken by those with the responsibility to do so. It must be very clear what those actions are. Also, that is not the same as saying “everyone is responsible for those actions” because that can also lead to no one being responsible because everyone things someone else is doing it.

How does that translate to leaders?
    Leaders are those who chart the path and decide they shall have a “culture” of quality. After this is voiced, that vision needs ACTIONS described by the leader or assigned to a manager to elucidate on behalf of the leader.

How does that translate to hiring?
    New hires should be those people with experience or the demonstrated ability to learn the requisite skills to implement the ACTIONS.

How does that translate to feelings?
    That is a loaded question requiring a dissertation and explanation of “emotional intelligence” concepts. The feeling we all hope to see in the work place is passion. Because we are living in the quality realm, we love passion for the quality of the organization’s products and passion for the ACTIONS described in the quality culture.

Incidentally, any person who hopes to improve or add the ACTIONS

22. Jeffrey Worthington says:

sorry, hit the button….

Incidentally, any person who hopes to improve or add the ACTIONS needed in a “quality culture,” must remember that any improvement is a “change process” and must be managed as change. You cannot simply announce the ACTIONS, you must have a process to treat the change as a program with a beginning, middle, and end. And of course, change itself brings up a host of feelings for everyone.
    (I am pushing the post button this time on purpose.)

23. Debi J says:

A Quality Culture is only possible when there is a Company Culture that engages employees in peak performance and empowers employees to do the right thing without fear of repercussion. A quality mindset is built into peak performance…it is what success looks like. When a company talks quality in its mission, vision or purpose but leadership does not walk the talk, the ability to create the appropriate Company and Quality culture is defeated. I believe feelings play a significant role as it represents the emotional energy we bring to our job and drives motivation. Think about it…if you feel you are not being treated fairly or not being paid fairly or feel exhausted or stressed, how focused are you really on performing at your peak? Many times, I see employees with negative emotions who just don’t perform up to their capability and that opens up opportunities for quality issues. As for hiring the right employees, I admit that how a person presents themselves from the application process through the final interview impacts my perception. If I do not see quality in their preparation and presentation for something as important as a job that will generate income to support themselves and/or their family, then I cannot help but wonder how they will perform in the job. I would much rather bring in someone who may lack teachable skills but really worked hard to present themsevles as the best possible candidate than someone who has all the skills but could have cared less to prepare for the interview process…it causes concern about an entitlement mentality versus a peak performance mentality. In the end, you really need to understand what motiviates an individual to want to perform their best, bringing quality into everything that they do. And we are not all motivated by the same things. That requires managers of others to know their people…managers need to have the capacity to know, coach, and develop their direct reports. Unfortunately, as companies downsize, coaching and developing employees is no longer a priority for managers that are trying desperately to keep their heads above water.

24. Jeff Williams says:

I associate these two things with a culture of quality; passion for customer satisfaction, and a drive for excellence. If an organization, or an individual, brings those two things to everything they do, then highly valued ( high quality/low cost) output is the result. If your output is highly valued, you will be successful.

Those are also the characteristics/traits I would look for when hiring new people. If they are already joining a uqality culture they will fit in very quickly and contribute quickly. If they are joining a cost only culture, they just might be the catalyst needed to transform the organization to a quality culture.

25. With the Olympics currently in progress, we have many examples of quality organizations, namely medal-winning sports teams which consistently demonstrate four qualities: Respect, Pleasure, Passion, and Accountability.

In the case of a gymnastics team as an example:
    - Respect for the athleticism shown by proficiencies in the gymnastic requirements and protocols
    - Pleasure for participation as shown by positive mannerisms and delightful expressions
    - Passion for the sport as shown by the energy, enthusiasm, and level of dedication and precision needed to achieve the elite performance levels
    - Accountability as shown by the willingness to be timed, scored, and judged, and personal acceptance of performance below expectations

Based on this, if an organization is lacking any of the attributes of respect, pleasure, passion, or accountability, the quality will suffer. I elaborate on this more at my ASQ Influential Voices “A QualitEvolution” quality blog at http://qualitevolution.blogspot.ca/

26. H.F. Ken Machado says:

An individual’s motivational and attitudinal patterns influence how all of us see, think and feel about the matters at hand. These patterns also provide a direct link to the motivational behavior of key employees. Moreover, these patterns and the behavior linked to them, have a direct impact on an organization’s overall performance because human behavior is driven by the motivation based performance of the individual contributors.
    The assessment of human behavior provides valuable insight into what makes an organization’s communication, relationships and performance function more effectively. Different organizations may contain several very different motivational and attitudinal patterns. These patterns represent potentially powerful tools that can help us understand and better interpret the needs of our business community.
    Abilities and competitiveness are measures of what individuals can accomplish. They are also useful in understanding what motivates an individual key employee within the organization. What an individual wants to do is an indicator of how they feel about something (i.e. their attitude), and/or how much energy they are willing to put into the tasks at hand. Their abilities, on the other hand, represent the potential of what they can do. The overall plan needed for organizational improvement is founded on addressing the important human behavioral and motivational characteristics and not just how we feel about the subjects at hand.

27. Mallika Bandyopadhyay says:

A person with passion for customer satisfaction must have high Emotional Intelligence to feel and understand customers’ expectation about a total buying experience. A person with ‘geocentric mindset’ who can change her conception and approach according to customers’ need.

28. Edwin D. Groover says:

Quality is and must be a way of life. Quality awareness reminds us that failure is not an option.

29. Larry Pope says:

I started my career in Quality over 25 years ago. I was very lucky to start with a company in which Quality was not just a department but “the way of we do business.” It made me very proud to be part of the team that produced products that people depended upon each day. I enjoyed comparing our products to competitors. The comparison included label placement/alignment and tamper evidence seals. Our products were not the lowest priced products on the market but customers were very loyal to our products. The quality of the product was conveyed in the small details.
    In my rash youth, I decided to test the waters and market my Quality skills with other companies. This journey consisted of six companies. I have seen the gambit of Quality cultures. My experience has taught me that the culture has to start at the top. During one interview trip, I passed by the plant manager’s office. On his door was a sign The company that came the closest to reflecting the ideal of my first company was a sign listing the “Ten Tennants of Quality.” This put forth a great first impression and I was happy to see that the plant manager lived up to the impression.

The one piece of advice I would give to anyone interviewing for a Quality position is to be very aware of your surroundings during the interview. Use your auditing skills, in subtle ways, to ferret out the culture of the organization. What is the appearance of the facility? Is management open with you about their problems? Is the Quality philosophy of the management team aligned with yours? Once you have these answers, you will have a good “feel” of the Quality culture of the organization.

30. Brien Palmer says:

Paul Borawski asks “What are the feelings you associate with a culture of quality?” To me, the pinnacle marker of a culture of Quality is, believe it or not, humor. Only an environment of trust, support, esteem, and confidence will support a widespread environment of laughter, especially of the self-deprecating nature. Think about those rare meetings that make you feel good about work, and the types of leaders who fully supported inclusive laughter and “good cheer”, and see if you don’t agree.

31. Kishore says:

This is response to questions posted in ASQ CEO’s blog http://asq.org/blog/.

1. What is corporate culture?

Corporate culture of an organization is organization’s shared values, beliefs, principles, guidelines, expectations, anticipations, behaviors, collective memories, norms, attitudes, assumptions, and perceptions.

2. What is culture of quality?

Culture of quality consists of –

ð Systemic Thinking
    ð Stakeholder focus
    ð Continuous improvement
    ð Learning and growth
    ð Team work
    ð Creativity & Innovation
    ð Ethics

3. If you’re working on a culture of quality, or sustaining one, what do you look for in the people you hire into the organization?

When you hire people into the organization, the most important thing that you need to consider is organizational cultural alignment and fitment. In today’s highly competitive world, organizations that strive for performance excellence are looking for people who have excellent competencies (skills, knowledge, experience, attitude, and aptitude) and those people who can fit into the organization very well.

4. How can you tell whether an applicant will contribute to, thwart, or work at quality culture goals?

Behavioral based interviewing techniques can be helpful to find out whether an applicant will contribute to, thwart, or work at quality culture goals.

Behavioral based interviewing through leading questions can be used to evaluate the competencies (skills, knowledge, experience, attitude, and aptitude) required to perform the job and fitment with the organization.

5. What attitudes support the success of a culture of quality?

ð Passion
    ð Character
    ð Persistence
    ð Perseverance
    ð Adaptability
    ð Agility
    ð Trust
    ð Empowerment
    ð Open and Effective communication
    ð Ethical behavior (Honesty, Morality, Integrity, Responsibility, Accountability)
    ð Dedication
    ð Commitment
    ð Leadership
    ð Customer driven
    ð Collaboration
    ð Fact based and Data driven decision making
    ð Accountability
    ð Compassion
    ð Desire to learn
    ð Focus on value creation and results

6. Are the personal attributes universal, or do they in your experience differ around the world?

Each person is different and personal attributes are unique to each person. Personal attributes can be changed through training, education, and experience.

7. When you’re in a culture of quality, how does it feel? Or, how do you feel? What are the feelings you associate with a culture of quality?

ð Proud
    ð Confidant
    ð Happy
    ð Motivated

32. Pingback: August Roundup–Building a Culture of Quality | A View from the Q

33. Bin Thabet says:

Quality Culture of an Organisation where everyone (all employees) including CEO , All level of Management , Teams and Frontline workforce have shared belive and common purpose in focusing always on the Customer requirements / Expectations and taking pride in delviering high Quality product or service that make customers happy and delighted.
    This will not happen unless Employees feel that they are Cared thru Motivation , Learning , development , systematically recogegnised / Rewarded , so that they feel important thus creating their emotional engagement and passion for delviering best quality outputs.
    Creating and Sustaining Quality Culture will not happen overnight However it definately requires Company CEO and All management members’ Follow thru Leadership approach in supporting and Inspiring the Quality Culture , Setting Leading Quality KPI , regular performance review , where Quality risks (deafects) are proactively identified and prevented .